The Women and Politics Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association (PSA) serves two purposes:
- It is a focus for PSA members, women and men, whose research is concerned with women or gender.
- It is also a resource for women in the PSA whether or not their research is related to gender. The group has a commitment to encourage the presence and visibility of women in the PSA and the discipline, while combating sexism.
- To monitor the position of all women studying and teaching politics in UK Further and Higher Education.
- To encourage women to study politics in school and in further and higher education.
- To take such action as is necessary to improve the representation of women on political studies committees, editorial boards and relevant organisations.
- To act as a network of communication and support among women in the discipline.
- To encourage research by women.
- To encourage research about women.
- To encourage women to write up and publish their research.
- To provide a forum for discussion of research by and/or about women.
- To combat sexism in the content of political studies courses and generate discussion about the masculine assumptions of the discipline.
- To liase with other associations concerned with the status of women or with women’s studies.
PSA Women and Politics Constitution (Click for .doc version)
HOW TO JOIN
Our group is open to anyone interested in gender and politics, as well as to women political scientists. Members get discounts on the conferences put on by our specialist group and have the option of a discounted subscription rate to the journal Politics & Gender – great for keeping up on the latest developments in the area! Memberships run 12 months and are automatically renewed (just drop an email to cancel your subscription).
To pay email with Paypal use the address:
One year Women and Politics Specialist Group Memberships including a subscription to the highly rated academic journal Politics & Gender
Already a member of the ?
PSA Members Waged (full-time) £35 per year
PSA Members Waged (part-time) £30 per year
PSA Members Students £10 per year
Non-PSA Members Waged (full-time) £40 per year
Non-PSA Members Waged (part-time) £35 per year
Non-PSA Members Students £12 per year
Women and Politics Specialist Group Memberships without journal subscription
Already a member of the ?
PSA Members Waged (full-time) £20 per year click
PSA Members Waged (part-time) £15 per year click
Non-PSA Members Waged (full-time) £25 per year click
Non-PSA Members Waged (part-time) £20 per year click
Or fill out this Membership Form and return it with your cheque made payable to ‘PSA Women and Politics Group’:
Dr Meryl Kenny
University of Edinburgh
Politics and International Relations
22 George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LF
Conferences and Workshops
We hold an annual conference or workshop in alternate years. These events are very well attended, bringing together leading scholars and promising postgraduates in the field of women and politics.
For information on events, please click here.
We sponsor panels at the annual conferences of the , Specialist Group of the PSA (EPOP) and the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR).
We are proud to sponsor two prize competitions each year, one for undergraduate students of ‘women and politics’ across the UK, the other for the best paper on ‘women and politics’ at the PSA Annual Conference. For more information on this year’s competitions and past winners, please click here.
Information about events, calls for papers, prizes, conferences and so on of relevance to our filed are periodically sent out to our members via Jisc-mail (click to join).
Working with other groups
We are always keen to further promote research in our field so if you have an idea for a seminar or conference – however small or big – that you would like to organise (or would like help with organising), please contact Jennifer Thomson or Orlanda Ward.