‘A comprehensive new strategy to increase the number of females participating in Irish politics has been unveiled by Fianna Fáil.
The party are encouraging females to stand as candidates in the upcoming local and national elections, with a number of measures being designed specifically to help them progress.
The Gender Equality Action Plan lays out a number of measures, including:
- The appointment of a Gender Equality Officer based in Fianna Fáil Headquarters
- A target of women making up one-third of the party local election candidates
- The establishment of a new Fianna Fáil Women Network to organise events for female members and provide support to female candidates
- A focus on encouraging more women to take up internal leadership positions, for example as constituency chairpersons
- A requirement for all constituency organisations to draw up their own plans to boost female participation locally….’
The action plan was produced by the Taskforce on Female Participation in Fianna Fáil, which is chaired by Senator Averil Power.