Gender and Politics in the media

UK: Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate, British women don’t feel represented

There’s little dispute – from David Cameron down – that having only four women in the cabinet is a pretty sorry state of affairs. Photo: Twitter

Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate Telegraph.co.uk The aggression and testosterone in the House of Commons is the biggest turn-off to women. Politicians and journalists need to change the tone of the daily debate, writes Cathy Newman. First up let’s take note of a couple of statistics: more than half of the UK population is female; yet less than a fifth of the cabinet is. So here’s my first thought on reading my colleague Emma Barnett’s report that 60 per cent of women in the UK believe the current Government isn’t representative: how come the other 40 per cent don’t have a problem?

British women don’t feel represented by the government Marie Claire.co.uk According to the Telegraph newspaper, latest figures conducted by Kantar, a global research group, show 60 per cent of women find it hard to relate to politicians. Half feel under-represented in politics and only 30 per cent say they take an interest in politics. David Cameron came under fire during the last Cabinet Reshuffle for not promoting enough women into senior roles. He had originally pledged to have a third of ministerial jobs performed by women in 2015, although this looks unlikely given that he has reduced the number of women in the Cabinet to just four.

2 thoughts on “UK: Women can resist testosterone-fuelled political debate, British women don’t feel represented”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s